Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

landlord/tenant utility dispute

I rent part of a large house, the

landlord keeps part for visits, and

there is a separate apartment. All on

one electric bill landlord pays. He

want me to now split 2/3 and 1/3

with the apartment leaving the math

to us. I say I want my own meter

and bil. Can he make me split bill

while still using power for his part

time vacation section of house?

Also..I am month to month for last 7

years. Landord wants to raise rent

30% immediatly. Can he?

Asked on 5/24/07, 11:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Elizabeth Powell ELizabeth Powell PS Inc

Re: landlord/tenant utility dispute

He can raise the rent by any amount he chooses so long as he gives you thirty day's notice. The RLTA is at Title 59, Chapter 18 of the Revised Code of Washington.

If you are in the City of Seattle there are additional requirements found in the city code. Look at the City's homepage for the links.

In other areas of the state, the rules do not require the landlord to separately meter the utilities. In Seattle, I'd have to look to be sure. This is a question you can ask the City about.

Seattle has a just cause eviction ordinance. That gives you more rights in your tenancy than in other places. Please review the landlord's obligations under that code.

Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Read more
Answered on 5/24/07, 11:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington