Legal Question in Personal Injury in Washington

Injured and fired

I was fishing in Alaska for S.S. Ocean Phoenix based out of Seattle Wa. I have an issue with my shoulder due tot he work I was conducting. I was denied medical care while in Akutan AK, Port Angels WA, and when we arrived in Seattle WA. I was told that I would be contacted by employer the following Monday after our discharge from the vessel. was told by the HR department that I would be taken care of as I was hurt while on the ship. I have not received a call back from the company. What are my options at this point. I no long have medical insurances after I was fired. And I'm still having issues with my shoulder.

Asked on 3/23/07, 5:37 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys


Re: Injured and fired

You need to find an attorney who handles maritime and/or workers compensation claims to determine what options exist.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/07, 7:32 pm
Ryan Nute Myers & Company, P.L.L.C.

Re: Injured and fired

You are entitled to maintenance (a daily stipend) and cure (medical expenses) until your condition is fixed and stable. You may also be entitled to damages under the Jones Act or under the general maritime law for an unseaworthy condition on the vessel. Our firm is based in Seattle and we have handled a number of maritime injury cases. (One of our current clients sustained a serious shoulder injury.) We'd be happy to help. Feel free to call me directly at 206.398.1188 ext. 104. Thanks!

Ryan C. Nute

Myers & Company, P.L.L.C.

Read more
Answered on 4/04/07, 9:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Washington