Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Washington

Careless contractors damage mobile home

The owners of the mobile home park where I live are enlarging the park. The contractors they hired, hit my house with a backhoe while digging a ditch. Although the exturnal damage was minor, the impact caused a lead crystal glass, and a cup and saucer from my antique hot choc. set (which was appraised at $1200.00 for entire set) to fall and break. What should I do to recover my losses?

Asked on 11/16/98, 11:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lawrence Glosser Law Office of Lawrence S. Glosser

Re: Careless contractors damage mobile home

You can make a claim against the owner of the Mobile Home Park, and the contractor. Send them a letter explaining what happened and what your loss is. Most likely they won't agree to pay. Your best course of action then is to take them to small claims court in your jurisdiction. The amount of the claim does not justify hiring an attorney, and small claims court hears cases up to $2500 in Washington.

By the way, make sure your lease in the park is good and not up for renewal or otherwise cancelable by the owner. Although retaliation is illegal, some landlords will attempt to get rid of tenants who make claims against them. Consider that before making any claims or suing your landlord.

Lawrence Glosser

Law Office of Lawrence S. Glosser

1300 Seattle Tower, 1218 Third Avenue

Read more
Answered on 1/07/99, 11:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Washington