Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Wisconsin

I was served papers for eviction. Now on those papers it has a box checked either show up to court OR have a written statement it needs to be done by the court date. We wrote the statement the landlord is on our bankruptcy and we sent the proof but the judge said I failed to appear when it clearly states on the paper either or. The judge refused to read my answer. this is not right.

Asked on 10/07/13, 12:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Safran Samster, Konkel & Safran, S.C.

You best alternative at this point would be to have your Small Claims Eviction reopened. You should review Small Claims Court Forms SC-511 and SC-515 to determine which form best provides the relief which you are requesting. There are some time deadlines which apply, therefore, I would urge you to review the forms and file as soon as possible. Small Claims Court is designed to allow plaintiffs and defendants the ability to handle claims without an attorney, however, you may need to ultimately have an attorney involved if you are unable to resolve this on your own. You may also wish to discuss this with your bankruptcy attorney or the bankruptcy trustee.

Read more
Answered on 10/07/13, 12:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Wisconsin