Legal Question in Criminal Law in Wisconsin

Six months ago my head was split open (just above the temple) while breaking up a fight at a party by someone hitting me with a beer bottle. To be more specific I was holding my friend back so he would not get in the fight, and a random guy punched me in the face so I put him in a headlock until one of his friends took him. Once a friend saw I was bleeding they let me know and I left, but a massive brawl continued after wards. After I left the police were called, and even later than that my friends convinced me to go to the hospital and get stitched up. After I got my 4 staples, an officer questioned me about info. on the fight i broke up and gave me a breathalizer, but said the test was not for a ticket and only for records. Today I got a ticket in the mail citing me for underage drinking(being only 20 at the time) and disorderly conduct. If I had known that I was going to get a ticket I would not have gone to the hospital. Is there anything that I can do about this situation?

Asked on 10/15/09, 9:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jeffrey Murrell Law Office of Jeffrey L. Murrell

You can go to court and try to convince the judge it should be thrown out due to the officer's apparent misrepresentations to you (sounds a little like entrapment to me). However, the sad legal fact is that law-enforcement officers in this state are permitted to outright lie to people whom they are investigating. If you lie to a law-enforcement officer who is investigating you, however, you are committing the crime of obstruction and can be charged with a misdemeanor. Nice, huh?

Read more
Answered on 10/21/09, 4:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Wisconsin