Legal Question in Family Law in Wisconsin

I am 14 currently and have been dealing with abuse by my parents for a few years. I have a job which earns about $10,000 a year which is enough to rent an apartment, pay for school and my other daily needs. How would I go about been emancipated in Wisconsin? I will probably wait till I am 16 since I believe that is the age for emancipation, but any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Asked on 10/19/14, 4:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Maxwell Livingston Law Offices of Maxwell Charles Livingston

As per my article on, "Under Wisconsin Statutes Section 48.415(6), you could argue that her parentsí rights should be involuntarily terminated, because of failure to assume parental responsibility [once you have reached 16 years old]." You must be able to prove that you can independently care for yourself.

Read more
Answered on 10/29/14, 3:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Wisconsin