Legal Question in Immigration Law in Wisconsin

I am dating a medical doctor who has obtained his MD here is the United States. He is in his last year of residency. Does getting and MD degree in this country make you a citizen? I want to make sure that he wants to be with me because of me and not to obtain US citizenship.

Asked on 3/18/13, 12:53 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

No. Once he graduates & obtains his medical license in the State of intended employment, he will need to find a U.S. employer to "sponsor" him for a "greencard" as a Doctor.

If he intends on remaining in the United States, he should consult with the hospital that he is doing the Residency for. Hospitals usually have their own Immigration Attorneys, and they can assist him if they wish to sponsor him.

Read more
Answered on 3/18/13, 2:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Wisconsin