Legal Question in Personal Injury in Wisconsin

my wife was hit while parked by another person but she has no aoto insurance. a police officer came and did a report. can she still get the car fixed by there insurance company

Asked on 10/03/12, 5:55 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

If you suffer property damage from an uninsured driver, you have the right to sue that driver or have their driver's license suspended if they do not pay your damages. However, you might end up getting nothing more than a bankruptcy notice for your troubles from the offending driver, since routine car accidental damages are fully dischargeable in bankruptcy, unless they involved drunken driving. Therefore, the answer to your question is that you should turn this claim in to your own comprehensive (collision) insurance carrier. If you did not have such insurance on this vehicle, you may be out of luck, although may still be worth it to at least attempt to collect from them. Please remember that I am not yet your attorney and will not be taking any action on your case, but you are still welcome to contact me during business hours at my in Racine if you still have more questions. Also, please see me on the web at, or, to read 15 years of my prior answers to consumer legal questions arranged by topic, please go to Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

Read more
Answered on 10/04/12, 5:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Wisconsin