Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

My ex-boyfriend has managed to sign 2 1 year leases for rental of residence and never paid one dime on either of the leases. Is there any way that I can legally get part of the money back that I had to spend that was at least half his responsibility? He also owes me for tires that I bought with him stating that he would pay me back in full. I have not received a dime. What can I do.

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC

All you tell us is your ex signed two leases, without telling us how that relates to you or how he is somehow liable to you. Why did you spend money related to leases? Facts matter. Otherwise, if he really owes you money you can try suing in small claims. Is it worth the time and expense? What proof do you have that he agreed to pay you anything? Why is this not a case of you choosing to makes these payments as part of the relationship? Is this just a do-ver after a breakup? A judge might think so. Even if you won the case, how much time would it take to collect? What does he have to collect? Often it is better to move on.

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Unless you have a written agreement for him to pay you, you probably have no real case. By shacking up without marriage, you chose an illegal rather than a legal relationship, and that means you have no rights to claim money from the breakup. In the future if you want rights in such a case you either need a signed contract or a wedding ring. You could sue him in small claims court, but it sounds like odds are you'd lose.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia