Legal Question in Business Law in New York

I live in NYC and I want to rent out my rented loft to people for the day. Do I need any kind of permit or license to do this and being that I will be renting it to random people am I liable for what they use it for?

Nancy Delain Delain Law Office, PLLC

Your landlord has the required Certificate of Occupancy, so that shouldn't be a problem. You're liable to your landlord for any damage you or your invitees (that's what your day rentals would be) do to the premises. You perhaps should run a background check on the "random people" to avoid having any liability for criminal activity on your premises; you don't want to be the guy who rents to Lee Harvey Oswald!!

As to any permits or licenses that NYC may require (and they may view this activity as operating a hotel), you should check with the City Clerk to determine what, if anything, is needed. You'll certainly need to let your landlord know of this unusual use of the premises and check your lease to be sure it's allowed.

THIS POST CONTAINS GENERAL INFORMATION AND IS INTENDED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. IT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE, NOR DOES IT CREATE ANY ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. FOR LEGAL ADVICE ON YOUR PARTICULAR MATTER, CONSULT YOUR ATTORNEY.

More Business Law questions and answers in New York

Business Law Legal Forms