Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My mother who lived in fl. has died. She has a will and my sister may have power of attorney. We need to know what to do now.

Asked on 5/27/12, 5:03 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The power of attorney expired upon your mother's death, so it isn't of use now.

What you need to do is examine her assets. If her assets were jointly, ITF/ATF, or named a beneficiary, then the surviving beneficiary can get a death certificate and receive those assets.

If it only had your mother's name on it, then probate probably will be required.

My recommendation is to seek an attorney, like myself, who provides a free consultation to review the matter fully and give you the proper directions of what is needed in your particular situation. Then you can proceed as required.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know. 888-475-1732 (though I am on vacation until the end of the month).

Read more
Answered on 5/27/12, 5:15 pm
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr. Kaplan is correct. However if your mother died in Jacksonville, give my office a call for an appointment.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/12, 6:20 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Her estate may need to go through probate in the county where she resided.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/12, 12:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now