North Dakota  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/26/11, 7:10 pm

My question is about property trespass. I have a driveway on my property that exists for the use of the mailman, and delivery trucks. My house is on a corner, the driveway runs from the street in front down the length of the property (150') alongside my house, and exits to a public alley that runs across the block, a 90 degree turn from my driveway. There is a public street about 25' west of the driveway. My neighbor to the rear drives in and out of his property using my driveway, though he has access to the street about 10' from his parking space.He also lately has apparently told his friends and relatives to use my driveway to access his property, instead of the street, which results in a steady stream of cars and trucks turning into my property and passing alongside my house to the rear to his property. I am not on very good terms with my neighbor, having had other disputes in the past. He is about 80 years old, I am 73. He owns several properties in the vicinity, and said on one occasion he wants to own mine. I own four lots, adjoining each other, 50'x150', and my house sits on two of them, the other two are vacant. Our properties are within the city limits. I want to stop this unauthorized use of my driveway, but I'm not able to place a gate at either end, access and egress must be kept open. Is there some kind of legal posting I can do? Our city is in a rural area, and my neighbor has shown by past actions that he has little regard for law.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search