Legal Question in Family Law in Minnesota

i have been raising my grandson since he was born. My daughter passed away giving birth to him. he was taken away from me when he was 3 yrs old by CHIPS in Dakota County, Mn. The father has given up all his parental rights. I have done everything Chips recommended and then some. They still have not given him back to me. He is now 5 yrs. old. He has an older brother which is 7 now. Yes, my daughter is the mother of both. My question is..Why did Chips say i had no rights because i didn't have legal custody of my grandson? Shouldn't he have come to me "by rights" after he gave up his parental rights? I love my grandsons so very much. They are all i have left of my precious daughter. I was also told that Chips had no right to even take him the way they did. I was also told that my grandson was adopted. Shouldn't they have told me what the hell was going on with my grandson? I have many other things to tell you about this case, but i want to talk to someone. Please help me. I have tried everything possible. I will never give up trying to get my grandson.

Robert Kane Law Offices of Robert D. Kane, Jr.

Unfortunately, custody of a chld doesn't automatically shift to a grandparent "by rights." I would think that child protection services would want the child to go to a family member, such as a grandparent, before going to foster care or being adopted. You state that you have tried everything, but have you tried hiring an attorney?

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Minnesota