Legal Question in Personal Injury in Georgia

I received a ticket for improper backing after an accident on the campus of a GA state university.

The other motorist was a young college student who was speeding around a corner and pulled behind me AFTER I had already begun backing up. The university officer who responded to the scene wrote me a ticket for improper backing. The student, I was told by the officer, had done nothing wrong because there is not a speed limit in the parking lots on campus.

Now, my insurance rates will increase because I had an accident that was my fault one and one half years ago and the range for not raising my rates is a 2 year time frame.

My insurance company insists that the ticket doesn't even matter - they consider a backing accident the fault of the person backing up and will accept the students claim against my policy and raise my rates regardless of whether or not I was really at fault.

What are my options here?

Elle

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

If you were backing you clearly were at fault. The fact that you do not understand that, and have had a previous recent fault accident, tells me that you need to take defensive driving. The good news is that the course will pay for itself, not just in making you a beter driver, but also in an automatic reduction in your insurance rates.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Georgia