Georgia  |  Personal Injury

I received a ticket for improper backing after an accident on the campus of a GA state university.

The other motorist was a young college student who was speeding around a corner and pulled behind me AFTER I had already begun backing up. The university officer who responded to the scene wrote me a ticket for improper backing. The student, I was told by the officer, had done nothing wrong because there is not a speed limit in the parking lots on campus.

Now, my insurance rates will increase because I had an accident that was my fault one and one half years ago and the range for not raising my rates is a 2 year time frame.

My insurance company insists that the ticket doesn't even matter - they consider a backing accident the fault of the person backing up and will accept the students claim against my policy and raise my rates regardless of whether or not I was really at fault.

What are my options here?

Elle