Legal Question in Employment Law in Utah

I have worked for a retail company for the past two and a half years. Was hired in 2010 after passing a backround check. I have been an outstanding employee with no suspentions or diciplinary actions, write UPS, etc. last month we performed inventory in my store which made me eligible to recieve a $4000 bonus. Today I was at work when my district manager arrives unnanounced to inform me I was being fired due to a backround check the company ran on me within the last month. what are my rights? I feel like this was handled unjustly due to the fact that I had absolutly no warning or any kind of knowledge about concerns they had with me. My district manager told me that she was informed of rumors floating around in the community while she was visiting my store during inventory. I believe this to be false for the fact that she lives in delta and has no ties or aquantances in my town. I believe this to be an act performed by the company in order to keep the labor budget down and not follow through with incentives they offer for outstanding performance.

Alvin Lundgren Alvin R. Lundgren, L.C.

Your options are to

1. Appeal to upper management

2. File suit for wrongful termination

3. Apply for unemployment

If the background check discovered information you should have revealed, but failed to do so, your termination may be proper. If there is no adverse non-disclosed background you have a good case for wrongful termination. However, under Utah law you can be terminated w/o cause in which case your only remedy is unemployment.

You may want to consult with an employment law attorney.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Utah

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms