Legal Question in Family Law in India


My father enjoys the inherited property from his father and has no income of his own even though he has 3 dependents (2 sons and wife). He is into habits of gambling. In past he was involved in domestic violence and has a complaint registered against him at local police station. Since then he is mentally torturing the rest of the dependents.

1) Is there any law to stop this things?

2) Can my mother get a divorce and can she claim alimony (she is a housewife)?

3) Can the share of any property of my father can be claimed as of dependents (there was a "will" in my fathers name) so that they can stay away from him??

Please suggest any solution or measures that can be taken legally to get rid of the issue.


Asked on 10/19/13, 12:14 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Santosh Goswami,Advocate sure shot legal
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

1.Your mother can lodge an FIR against him. She can also file a complaint under D.V.Act wherein she will get the interim maintenance also.

2. Yes, your mother can file a divorce petition on the ground of cruelty, An habit of gambling certainly amounts to cruelty upon the wife. After divorce, she is also entitled to get alimony.

3. Since there is a Will in favour of your father, all of u can't claim a share. But certainly the wife and minor dependents have a right to reside in that property.


Read more
Answered on 10/19/13, 5:42 am
KarVai +91 9811284735 KarVai Legal Solutions(
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your mother can file a complaint under domestic violence act . yes your mother can certainly get divorce on the grounds of cruelty she can file a petition for divorce under sec 13(1)(ia) of HMA for treating her with cruelty and is entitled for alimony also.

wife and minor dependents have right to reside but no claim.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/13, 6:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in India

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now