India  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/17/13, 3:50 am

Married for 26 years to an IAF Officer and I have a daughter who is employed now. I was staying with daughter in rented accommodation since past 3 years at a place far from his station of posting as she was studying and could not stay in hostel due to health issues. Previous to this I was working in residential schools for three years totally. It was a difficult marriage with physical abuse when he is angry, even till daughter reached her 12th standard, verbal and mental abuses continued but I stuck to the marriage. But, now my husband avoids all marital relationships since last two years in spite of meeting at least three times a year for periods lasting from 3 days to 2 weeks. When after several cold rejections I asked for a reason he says he is not interested in me anymore. Moreover, to add insult to injury when I expressed my desire and shock at his statement he called me 'sex starved'. I decided not to touch this topic anymore and in front of friends and relatives everything is normal though I went through psychological trauma to recover from this rejection. He was not even bothered about the effects it might have had on me. I am not sure whether he has any affair or is just arm-twisting me. He has bought a house but does not intend to stay there but wants me to go to his ancestral home and take care of his parents. This is a remote place and I will not be able to work [school and counseling] from there. I said that I am ready to take care of his parents if they stayed with me in the house that we have bought and from there I could work too. He has decided however to give that house on rent or sell it and if I did not go to his ancestral house then I have to pick up a job in some residential school and stay there. He wouldn't be then taking care of any financial help which I might require then. I am totally cornered and confused by his behavior as sometimes he shows very stormy spouts of anger when he demands divorce or to write that I will forfeit all claims to his emoluments/ retirement benefits/ or that he is ready for a mutual divorce. And other times he is very calmly discussing something concerning general issues like daughter's employment or some marriage or somebody taking ill and such. I want to seek some legal advice as this is very unpredictable behavior snd now that he is going to retire I am not feeling secure anymore.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search