Legal Question in Traffic Law in Canada

Good morning, we are going through from legal issue because my boyfriend hit a light post. The pole they put up is not at all the same as what thehad before since the new pole is metal and a lot fancier than the wooden post it used to be, road conditions were bad at the time and it wa early morning, and black ice was definitly a factor in the collision. They are claiming he must pay $8000, they are charging him for overtime. Original paperwork to Diagsnose the pole is not complte and detailed and does not have worker ID number, it also said it took 4 hours to complete.... please let me know if there are any other factors we can consider to get the amount that they are claiming down to a reasonable amount.

Kenneth Golish Golish, Kenneth W.

If the parties cannot come to an agreement on a fair amount for damages, the local utility may have to sue him in small claims court where a judge will determine a fair amount, not simply what the utility demands. Arguably, he may be entitled to a reduction if it can be shown that the pole would eventually have to be replaced. You might want to ask the utility what programs they currently have for replacing poles.

I assume he was driving without insurance, as the car insurer would otherwise have to pay the damages.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Canada

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA