Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in India

Ancestral property belonging to A was divided into 5 shares to benefit his wife and 4 sons after A's demise. Wife's share was divided into 4 shares of sons. Son-1 died and the share passed on to his wife, daughter and son and to this day is undivided. Wife of son-1 has willed her share to her son's two boys. Is such a will valid in the absence of a consent letter from the daughter? If the share is divided and then willed, will it be valid?

Asked on 9/14/13, 4:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Fca Prashant Chavan Expert Edge LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Dear Sir / Madam,

YES. Since the title of the deceased son's share vests in his wife, she is entitled to Will her share of the property to her two sons. She does not need the consent letter from her daughter for it. It is upto the deceased son's wife whether she wishes to divide the share or to retain it as it is.


Read more
Answered on 9/14/13, 10:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in India

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now