My father and another person co - owned a basement. After his death , our father is survived by 3 legal heirs. There is a person ready to buy this property. My questions are :
1. To attach names of the 3 of us to the property in Pune what is the procedure
2. Can the 3 of us sign a relinquishment deed in favour of the partner of our late father in lieu of some monetary compensation
3. Would the money we get out of selling of this property be taxable or non - taxable ?
1 Answer from Attorneys
Dear Sir / Madam,
1. You will first need to get the property transferred in the sole name of your father by complying with the prevailing procedure for transfer with the Tehsildar / District Registrar in Pune. You should check with the Tehsildar whether three names can be added onto the title of the property.
2. If the legal heirs of the deceased partner are in Agreement to receive monetary compensation, you should settle them off.
3. Depending upon the period for which your father and his deceased partner held the property, it will attract Capital Gains tax.
Related Questions & Answers
I am from India, my father passed away without nominating us (his wife and two sons)... Asked 8/18/13, 2:35 am in India Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates
Some major flaws noticed in an unregistered typed Will are :- 1. the first page in... Asked 8/15/13, 6:27 pm in India Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates
Respected Sir, I have two brothers and i am older than them. I am a married... Asked 8/12/13, 4:02 am in India Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates
If the only two attesting witnesses to a unregistered hand written Will are the... Asked 8/10/13, 7:39 pm in India Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates
One of my friend's old father has 4 sons.Regarding the immovable properties like... Asked 8/09/13, 5:28 pm in India Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates