Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

about appeal

In a custody case if you are not content with the results what is the next step as far as appealing and what court is the appeal heard in.

Asked on 7/22/00, 2:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Forrester Forrester & Associates
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: about appeal

The first thing you must do is file a Motion to Alter, Amend, or Vacate with the trial Judge who

entered the ruling, this must be done within 30 days of the entry of the Judgment or Order you are

not satisfied with. This gives the Judge the opportunity to correct any mistakes he or she might have made and permits you to focuss on any injustice or other error that you believe was made. You can also ask for a new trial and for a different Judge. Appeals must be filed within 42 days of the entry of the Judgment or Order you wish to appeal, and they are first heard by the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals. Both Motions and Notices of Appeal are filed in the Circuit Clerk’s Office of the Judicial Circuit where the matter was tried. Matters can be then be appealed to the Alabama Supreme Court.

If we can be of assistance, please contact us at Forrester & Associates, 256-435-1007.

Read more
Answered on 9/12/00, 5:12 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now