Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

My ex- husband and I have joint custody and he has primary care. He is recently trying to refuse visitation due to my 8 year relationship with a African- American man. Is this legal and what are my options?

C. Terry Gregg, Jr. Law Offices of Terry Gregg, LLC

The terms of visitation in your Final Decree of Divorce should set out the times and places you are allowed visitation with your child.

Without seeing your visitation schedule, I am positive that the race of your significant other does not provide a legitimate right of refusal of visitation. Ask yourself first, "If I have seen this man for 8 years, why would he only recently object to this?" Be honest with yourself first, then go see an attorney immediately as you might have a legal basis to alter your visitation and/or custody.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama