Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Alabama

My late husband and I lived in California 11 years ago and he opened an investment account in a California bank. We moved to AL 8 years ago, and he passed away 2.5 years ago. The investment bank is telling me that no beneficiary was named on the account (approx $4,600.) and that I need a letter of testamentary from the court in AL to have access to the account. What is the process? Thank you.

Asked on 2/17/11, 6:16 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

William Nolan Nolan Elder Law LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will need to find an attorney there who handles probate. You will need his Last Will and Testament, his death certificate, names and addresses of next of kin and the filing fees and attorneys fees. Mobile has a lot of good lawyers but I know Jim Ziegler, so call him first.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/11, 6:21 am
Dean Stein Harville-Stein Law Offices, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

We would be pleased to discuss the situation with you first, at no charge. If you like, feel free to call upon us, as this may qualify for a process not needing a "full" probate. (205) 991-5600.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/11, 6:37 am
James Coleman Murchison & Howard, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have to open an estate. However, Mobile County has a streamlined process. You can call for a free 30 minute consultation

Read more
Answered on 2/17/11, 8:27 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now