Legal Question in Family Law in Arizona

Liability for your children

I have a son that is 22 and going to college. At what point do I have no liability for his actions? Can a law suit be filed against him and would I have any liabilty in the suit

Grady Wade Wade Law Firm, PLC

Re: Liability for your children

In AZ, parents can be held liable for the intentional acts of their minor children up to $10,000. Since your child is 22, you would not be liable for his intentional bad acts if you had nothing to do with them.

That being said, you may be liable for other things. For example, you could be sued for negligent entrustment if he had a bad driving record, you let him use your car anyway, and he injured someone. That is just one example, there are too many to list.

If you have a specific worry you should contact an attorney to explain the law to you.

Joan Bundy Joan Bundy Law PLC

Re: Liability for your children

Once a person turns 18 (or 16, if they are an emancipated minor) they become legally responsible for all of their actions. Even if that person is in college. Of course, you can still pay for their living expenses, tuition, insurance, etc., to your heart's content, but they are still considered an adult and you are no longer liable for any misconduct on their part.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Arizona

Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA