Arizona  |  Construction Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/01/11, 9:06 pm

Landscape Contractor paid $2,663.00 to regrade a small lawn area of 500 sq feet. Removed grass and small area of red brick. Refused to then haul off dirt as he promised and intentionally delayed the job with excuses. Failed to provide examples of materials for future relandscaping, only completed the regrade 1/4 of the way of the job with 2 men with shovels on four occassions. Contractor failed to comply as agreed on time-frame, was unresponsive to my phone calls, emails and by my fiance (property owner). Contractor cashed check for $2,663.00 and failed to comply to agreement. He prepared an invoice only - no terms and conditions on a contract. I have requested $2000.00 in return and hired a new contractor who has come in and regraded, hauled off dirt, removed 2146 square feet of 4" of 3/4" rock, installed new sprinkler system in less than six hours today. I filed formal complaint with BBB - what is my recourse in getting my $2,000.00 with nothing more than an invoice and his refusal to call me back. He calls me tonight at 8pm and we cannot amicabally resolve. He continues to badger me by phone harassment - I hung up and he continued to call back. Threatening to come onto my proprty and I live here alone while property owner/fiance works out of town. He refuses to pay back $2,000. Can I obtain $2,000 back through small claims first then file with the registrar of contractors - which comes first and any legal advice. Thank you.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search