Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in California

My question is. Is it legal for the police to not allow someone the right to have their witness confirm a crime that was never committed. But to allow the other party to provide a video of what happened? I helped my boyfriend move two days ago and the old place he lived at is saying he stole things from there property. When in fact he didn't because I was with him days prior to the mive and I help him move. He never stole anything and the landloard is saying they have videoof him doing it. They rent out at least 14 rooms on one property and it could have been one of the other tenants. Because he was with me that whole day and night at a bbq after the move. They called him yesterday and said to meet a detective at the devonshire police station so we did. I waited 5 hours to finally find out that they moved him an hour before and no one even tried to inform me. So is that legal for them to not allow him to have a witness?

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin

Yes. There are a lot of things that are legal in the context of a criminal investigation that do not seem fair. I recommend that you not discuss what you observed with anyone other than an attorney who is representing your boyfriend or an investigator who you know for certain is working with that attorney. This is a complicated matter and you do not want to make your boyfriend's situation worse.

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in California

Civil Rights Law Legal Forms