Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

I was approached about giving 1 of 2 possibly deaf puppies a chance to live. If the breeder/seller wasn't able to find homes the day after they were born, they were to be put to sleep. Now the breeder/seller is requiring a contract to be signed that limits what we can do with the puppy once we take ownership. These limitation include: no breeding, selling or adopting out, cant put to sleep, without their consent. I was also asked to pay $40 for shots and vet check, which I don't mind paying. The breeder is not a licensed breeder. I don't want the breeder to back out because I don't agree with the terms of the contract and I lose the puppy, but I don't want to be forced into signing the contract. Is this legal and binding in CA? How can I get out of it?

(I believe it's under the consumer law)

Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green

Once you take ownership and it is compete ownership I seriously doubt they can interfere with your rights. I would have to do some research but I seriously doubt this type of contract would ever be enforceable. If it were I can't see the damages...

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms