Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Our landlord is defaulting on her mortgage and will be foreclosed upon. We have paid our rent ontime for four years. Do we contact the bank or do we continue to pay her the rent even if she is foreclosed on and has not been paying her mortgage.. Do we have any rights? Please advise.

Asked on 4/24/10, 3:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have to keep paying her the rent until she has been foreclosed on. This occurs when her "equity of redemption" is terminated. If the bank forecloses nonjudicially through a trustee's sale, then that will happen at the trustee's sale. I would certainly make sure the bank knows you are renters. If the bank purchases the property at the trustee's sale, the bank will become the owner of the property, and is entitled to rent from you. (This is commonly referred to as REO property.) The bank may want to keep you in if you are paying rent on time.

If the bank files a lawsuit, they may have a receiver appointed. In that situation, you would pay rent to the receiver, and not to the owner. If no receiver is appointed, and an action to foreclose is filed, your owner's right of redemption will depend on whether or not the bank is entitled to a deficiency judgment, which depends on other factors.

Read more
Answered on 4/29/10, 4:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Consumer Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now