California  |  Credit and Debt Law

A notice from a collection agency

I just received a notice from a collection agency first time regarding the medical bil for the service I had in Oct 10, 2009.

I looked into it and found that yes I received a service that day. The thing is, they never sent me a bill. So, this is something completely out of blue to me. Even if they sent a bill and I misplaced it, they never sent me a 2nd notice, ever. Aren't they supposed to send me a reminder at least? I alwasy pay on time and have had a good credit. So, I am very concerned about this. I can pay it right away online at the service provider's website but should I pay through the collection agency? I guess my real question is, what is the best approach to take from here so that I can resolve this issue smoothly and keep my good credit? I do not want to make the issue complicated. Please help me!!