California  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/31/13, 2:59 pm

I am being sued for a debt collection on a credit card that I defaulted on. The papers were filed on July 5th, but I wasn't served until July 13th. Even then, the papers were left on my front door and not personally given to me. How long do I have to respond? Is it 30 or 40 days? What form to I use to respond to the summons? This is not the only credit card that my husband and I had to default on. Is it better for us to file bankruptcy? We don't have any sort of assets or extra money to settle and worry about the other companies coming after us also.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search