Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I am 18 years old and was charged with 11357b in california. I have no prior drug offences. I would like to get a diversion program to avoid a 1 year license suspension, but cannot afford a lawyer. How can I go about requesting this program? Or will it be automatically offered to me? Thank you

Asked on 5/07/13, 5:19 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Steven Mandell Law Offices of Steven R. Mandell
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

When you go to court, you say to the Judge: Your Honor, I would like D.E.J. (deferred entry of judgement, what diversion is now called). If you are qualified, you'll get it. Good luck.

Steve Mandell

Read more
Answered on 5/07/13, 5:33 pm
Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

While Mr. Mandell is technically correct, you may still ask for diversion. In some counties "diversion" and "D. E. J." may be treated differently. You are entitled to be represented by the Public Defender and you may want to talk to them prior to the beginning of court.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/13, 9:42 pm
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You go to court and say "your honor, I would like an attorney appointed to represent me."

Read more
Answered on 5/13/13, 11:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now