Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

I was cited for a misdemeanor charge of furnishing alcohol to a minor, and am scheduled to appear in court. I have a criminal record, and did state time 3 years ago. Is this case going to cause me to do another prison term, or some county jail time because of my record? Are my past offenses going to be used as priors?

Asked on 4/11/13, 2:21 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The honest answer is that no attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, police reports, expected testimony, priors history, defenses, sympathies, etc. However, yes,, your priors and strikes will be considered for enhancement. If you are still on probation or parole, that is a real problem for you. You'd better take this much more seriously than a 1st timer. If serious about hiring counsel to help you, feel free to contact me.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/13, 2:54 pm
Zadik Shapiro Law Offices of C. Zadik Shapiro
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr. Nelson is correct. But if you are no longer on parole, you cannot be sent to state prison on a misdemeanor. If you are on parole they may violate your parole and either send you to state prison or jail in lieu of prison. Certainly your record will be used against you. Of course you can be incarcerated in the county jail for the misdemeanor regardless of whether or not you are on parole.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/13, 9:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now