California  |  Criminal Law

Someone very close and important to me is in custody in a county in California, but also has pending charges in another county as well that he/she has not been arraigned on yet.

The case in county "#2" is much more serious than the charges this person is being held for in county #1. With 30+ days already served, and credits, I believe the DA in county #1 is going to be more amenable to settlement soon, so that the defendant can "get out of our system" (so-to-speak), and then be transferred to county #2 to allow the so that defendant may deal with the larger issue.

My question is how does this process work exactly?

I dont think this person will be released at all because the charges in county #2 could result in a life sentence. Is there there a time frame for such person to be transferred to the other county?

Also, how can this person get representation such as a public defender beforehand?

Answered on: 7/03/13, 3:12 pm by Anthony Roach

When they get arraigned, they need to ask for the appointment of a public defender.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311

Answered on: 7/03/13, 10:14 pm by John Laurie

If they qualify they will get a public defender when they are arraigned. They are not normally assigned beforehand

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356