Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Someone very close and important to me is in custody in a county in California, but also has pending charges in another county as well that he/she has not been arraigned on yet.

The case in county "#2" is much more serious than the charges this person is being held for in county #1. With 30+ days already served, and credits, I believe the DA in county #1 is going to be more amenable to settlement soon, so that the defendant can "get out of our system" (so-to-speak), and then be transferred to county #2 to allow the so that defendant may deal with the larger issue.

My question is how does this process work exactly?

I dont think this person will be released at all because the charges in county #2 could result in a life sentence. Is there there a time frame for such person to be transferred to the other county?

Also, how can this person get representation such as a public defender beforehand?

When they get arraigned, they need to ask for the appointment of a public defender.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

If they qualify they will get a public defender when they are arraigned. They are not normally assigned beforehand

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA