California  |  Criminal Law

I just recieved a "Notice of Complaint Filed" by the D.A., for 666/484(a)/488 Pc Theft w/prior conviction (I have to appear to enter a plea). Back in September, I went to get my hair done at a salon in Costa Mesa. The girl who did my hair, ruined my hair. A horrible cut and non-requested orange highlights. Before she could finish the cut, I got up and left and didn't pay. I was extremely upset with what she did. A few days ago, I get this "Notice" of theft. I didn't steal anything. Its a service. If I were to paint someone's home and did a horrible job I wouldn't get paid. I'd have to take them to small claims. Isn't this the same thing? Can they do that? What do I do? I cant afford an attorney. Any and all advice is very welcome.

P.S. Prior conviction was from when I was 18, Im 34 now. Short story, followed Public Defenders advice and unfortunately now have a conviction, charge- PC 148 5A.