Legal Question in DUI Law in California

Dui

what steps do I need to take regarding my son. He is on parol, has been holding a job for 2 years and no involvement with the law. He was in a bar got beat up & blacked out. He doesn't remember driving his car and was found outside of his car laying on the ground. His car looked vandalized, but because he was under the influence and on parol. He turned himself in. How do does bail get set for him and what steps do I need to take

Elena Condes LAW OFFFICE OF ELENA CONDES

Re: Dui

Regarding the new case, he will be brought to court to see a judge within 48 hours. If charges are filed a bail will be set related to the charged offense(s). Once the bail is set he can be bailed out. There is a bail schedule that determines the initial bail for criminal offenses. Alameda County has that bail schedule on line in a downloadable format. Or, you can call a bailbondsperson and they may be able to tell you what the bail is.

If he is on parole, the parole folks may put a parole hold on him, meaning, even if he bails out on the new charges he won't be released until the parole issue is resolved. You don't want to pay for a bail only to find out he can't be released because of a parole hold.

It sounds like your son could use a lawyer to talk to him. If he can't afford a lawyer, the court will appoint the public defender to represent him on the new matter.

I hope this answered your questions.

Good luck,

Elena Condes

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California