Legal Question in Education Law in California

Can a California public high school deny a 17 year old? I recently tried to register for this upcoming year at my local public high school and they didn't allow me to attend, saying that I would be a 5th year senior and they tried to transfer me to a continuation school. The reason I am behind is because I spent a year and a half in Mexico, so I missed 11th grade and part of 10th. The issue is not credits, because if I complete this year I will be on track to graduate, its just that they dont want to take me for an additional year even though CA education code says I am allowed as well as the California department of education. Is there anything I can do? I already talked to the district and they say its up to the school. I've already missed 2 weeks of school.

Asked on 9/07/13, 8:22 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This is a civil rights issue. You need to contact an education law attorney or community organization in your community as soon as possible.

Read more
Answered on 9/07/13, 9:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now