Legal Question in Education Law in California

Can a California public high school deny a 17 year old? I recently tried to register for this upcoming year at my local public high school and they didn't allow me to attend, saying that I would be a 5th year senior and they tried to transfer me to a continuation school. The reason I am behind is because I spent a year and a half in Mexico, so I missed 11th grade and part of 10th. The issue is not credits, because if I complete this year I will be on track to graduate, its just that they dont want to take me for an additional year even though CA education code says I am allowed as well as the California department of education. Is there anything I can do? I already talked to the district and they say its up to the school. I've already missed 2 weeks of school.

Daphne Macklin Law Office of Daphne L. Macklin

This is a civil rights issue. You need to contact an education law attorney or community organization in your community as soon as possible.

More Education Law questions and answers in California