Legal Question in Family Law in California

How detailed does a divorce agreement/settlement need to be? After having a pending divorce case for over 4 years, I think we are finally ready to settle. Alimony payments have been completed. Custody arrangement has already been made. What's left are assets. Our home is the only asset that is in both our names, which I'm giving to her. All other assets will remain in their respective names. That's it! Can I just type up such a summary and get it notarized or does it need to be more complicated?

You don't have to have it notarized. You should be sure that the terms are specific enough to be followed. Try to anticipate problems now, and cover them with well written agreement. There is a generalized format that attorneys use. You may want to have a draft reviewed by the family law facilitator near you.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California