Legal Question in Family Law in California

disowning adult child

Can a parent legally disown a adult child ? An adult child was has been estranged for many years. Who is of sound mind, but he's irresponsible. Someday I may inherit a small amount of money- I want to make sure she can't get any of it, if I'm dead or alive. He's heartless and will stop at nothing in order to gain financially.

Donald Holben Donald R. Holben & Associates, APC

Re: disowning adult child

You may take action to specifically exclude a close relative, such as a child in a properly prepared will and/or trust. Contact an attorney practicing in California to help. 800-685-6950

Wayne Wisong Wayne Wisong, Attorney at Law

Re: disowning adult child

Sure you can. You just write a will clearly leaving him nothing, and make sure somebody you trust knows about it, or create an inter vivos trust for your assets in which he is not a beneficiary, or put everything in joint name with somebody you do trust or would want to inherit if you die.

If you would like assistance preparing any such documents, I would be glad to assist you. You can e-mail me at wwisong@earthlink.net.

Although my practice is located in Georgia, I have been a member of the California Bar since 1979, so your question was referred to me.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California