California  |  Civil Litigation

I had an operation the end of last year. Apparently the hospital realized I overpaid my bill and sent me a refund check for almost $3,000. I deposited the check into my account a few days before Memorial Day weekend. After the "pending" status was over, I paid my monthly bills ahead of time with that money. On Friday, May 31st, I checked my bank account on line and my $3,000 check had a stop payment placed on it. Luckily I have overdraft protection and encountered some bank charges totaling $25, otherwise I would have had 5 checks bounce.

I was upset the entire weekend as this freaked me out a bit since I have over 800 credit score and don't handle my life this way. I had to wait until Tuesday, June 4th to contact the hospital billing dept. The billing dept. didn't know why the check was stopped and said they would look into it. I didn't receive a call back until Wednesday, June 5th. They said they meant to place a stop payment on a different check which check number was one number off from my check. The check they sent me was mine and they made a mistake by stopping payment on it!!

If I were the hospital, I wouldn't have just stopped a check on someone...I would have telephoned them or contacted them so as not to stress out their life for a few days like they did to me and mess up my bank account.

They finally sent me a new check for $3,000. They said the will refund me the $25 for my overdraft protection if I show them proof! I feel they should do a little more than that as I was definitely a victim in this matter and didn't like what they did to me. Please advise what I shoud do. Should I ask for some compensary money for the hassle they put me through and if so about how much should I ask for? Thank you so much.