Legal Question in Immigration Law in California

I am in the US as a J-1 Research scholar, two-year rule does not apply. My wife is a US citizen. I last entered the US in January, under J-1 status, the wedding took place in April. My visa and I-94 expired on May 31, but before the expiration I had my DS-2019 renewed for one year, so I am still legally in the US as J-1. We are now submitting the forms for Visa Petition and for Adjustment of Status. Should I include my new DS-2019 as proof that I have not overstayed my J-1 status?


Asked on 7/29/13, 9:48 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you absolutely should submit the new DS-2019 along with the immigrant visa petition.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/13, 5:27 am
Rebecca White Law Office of Rebecca White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you can and should include that, although an overstay when married to a US citizen will not be an issue.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/13, 11:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now