Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

On my lease that my boyfriend and I signed it says that rent is $995. We have been paying that amount since February of this year. Property manager says that they made a mistake and that rent is suppose to be $1145 and that they want us to sign the new lease with the proper amount and start paying that amount. We were told that rent would be $995. We did sign a rental deposit receipt that showed the rent was $1145 but didn't realize the amount and we didn't think it would matter since we signed the lease for $995. But it states on the receipt "applicant also understands that the Rental Application submitted with this deposit is not to be construed as a Lease or Rental Agreement". Can they make us paying the new amount even though we never signed the new lease and still have the original lease on hand?

Robert F. Cohen Law Office of Robert F. Cohen

The landlord is stuck with the rent stated on the fully-executed rental agreement for the term stated. Any oral agreement prior to its execution is not binding. If there is a tenants' rights clinic at your local courthouse, you might want to consult with them in anticipation of the next shoe dropping.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA