Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

Hello,

Can a method of payment be refused?

I am supposed to sign a new lease on Monday due to the fact that the building, where I live, has a new owner. I would like to know if the landlord can dictate the method of payment under the Californian law, if the contract does not mention it. For example, if I want to pay via wire transfer, can the landlord refuse this form of payment?

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers

If the contract does not state how payment is to be made, any reasonable method of payment is included. A wire transfer, however, requires knowing the landlord's bank account number which is private and it is not unreasonable to refuse to give up that information for security reasons. The requirement for a new lease is based upon the the time period of the old lease expiring, not a new landlord existing, as the new owner legally must assume the existing obligations of the former owner. So if your lease still has 6 months to go, you do not have to sign a new one until 6 months from now.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms