Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

I was previously renting a home and moved out 1 month before my lesae was up. The reason I moved out was due to a mold issue in the additional room that was added on by previous tenants. The landlord was aware of the situation for well over six months. He did nothing to fix the issue but and now is going to take me to small claims court for last month's rent and other charges. I do not believe that the additional room has been reported to the housing authority or to the IRS. Is there anything I can do? My sole perpose of moving out was due to the mold and my concerns for my for children's health.

George Shers Law Offices of Georges H. Shers

Getting the landlord in trouble with the authority involved with housing likely will not help you. You should argue there was a constructive eviction because of his not cleaning up the health problem.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms