California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 12/17/11, 3:29 pm

My wife and I are purchasing a home shortly. We are allowing the current owners to stay for a few days after the close of escrow (we are not agreeing in escrow because it is a short sale and it would complicate things). My preference is that we agree verbally on something in order to protect myself from having something in writing and allowing the former owner to have tenant rights. I feel that if it is just verbal, if they do not leave the premise on the agreed to date, I go in and say they are trespassing. My agent wants me to do something in writing but I disagree. I live in California for reference. Any advice?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search