Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

Deed of Trust VESTING

What do I do if title is vested incorrectly? I am in escrow but refused to sign ''Deed of Trust and Escrow Instructions'' because it lists me as ''a MARRIED WOMAN as her sole & speparate property.'' This is incorrect-- I am DIVORCED; divorce was final 3 yrs ago. Title Co. has copies of my divorce decree and Interspousal Transfer Deed. Q: SHOULD THE TITLE CO. CHANGE THE VESTING BEFORE I SIGN THE ESCROW DOCUMENTS?

Asked on 2/03/07, 3:38 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Whipple Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Deed of Trust VESTING

Yes, you should discuss this with the escrow officer and/or title officer as soon as possible. Maybe they think you have remarried?

If they won't change it and don't have a good explanation, you'll be faced with the dilemma of whether to close on time with incorrect vesting or delay the closing and expose yourself to damage claims or possible loss of the deal. I'd document your problem well but go ahead and close, then straighten out the vesting afterwards. This is not the worst mistake I've seen.

Read more
Answered on 2/03/07, 4:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now