Legal Question in Traffic Law in California

I bought a car off of a guy on Craigslist. Everything was okay except the brakes screeched a little. He said that I was no big deal and that the repairs would only cost 80 bucks tops.

I payed him 1200 cash on the spot.

When I took it into the mechanic the brakes were totally shot. $1300 worth of repairs with discounts. I've never seen bakes this bad in my life.

Now it looks like I'll just sell it to a salvage yard for 200 bucks.

The mechanic say he must have known, probably sold it to me cause he didn't want to replace them himself.

All told I lost a grand. I have his number and all of his info on the pink slip. Can I sue him to get my money back? Is it even worth it?

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Usually when we get questions like these the person asking the question just turned 18 and bought his or her first used car. Not having your own mechanic look at the car is a mistake people usually make only once. But you have nothing to lose by suing the guy. If he didn't give you a smog certificate you might have a chance. Bring your receipt for the $1200 to court with you. And if you gave someone cash and didn't get a receipt, that's also a mistake people make only once.

More Traffic Law questions and answers in California