Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My mom recently passed away and has a trust but she never re-titled her house as owning the trust. her will states that everything will go to the trust. Will I have to go to probate to get this resolved?

Asked on 6/13/13, 12:45 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the trust identifies the house as an asset that is supposed to be in her trust, then you can Petition to have the house put into the trust. If not, then you may have to go through Probate. I file these Petitions regularly and can help.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 12:58 pm
Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Do you mean she never put the title of the house into the trust?

How is title to the house held now? Are there any joint tenants?

As for Probate, you can probably file a Heggstead Petition with the probate court and obtain an order that the house should be recorded in the name of the trust. This will avoid a formal probate process.

Please feel free to call me to discuss how this is done. My office is in Danville and my number is (925) 362-1725.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 2:06 pm
Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr Jordan and Mr Feldman's answers are correct; however the attorneys will need to review the documentation you have in your possession re the trust to represent you.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 5:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now