Legal Question in Employment Law in Colorado

Bereavement or sick days

I work for a small consultant firm that bills medical reports for physicians. We have a policy, that states personal time, sick time and bereavement time. I suffered through a miscarriage last week, I was almost 13 weeks. Our administrator, says that this is just to be a sick day and does not count as bereavement time. But yet, he was quoted as saying that when this policy first went into affect, that he would consider our dead pet as bereavement. Who would be right in this matter? HELP!!

Re: Bereavement or sick days

Colorado law does not mandate any bereavement leave whatsoever. If an employer wishes to offer this leave to employees, it's discretionary. The employer can set the terms under which employees can take the leave. Your employer should have a handbook or written policy that described the conditions under which an employee can take the bereavement time they offer. If your employer is granting leave in such a way that it discriminates against women or pregnant women, there may be discrimination issues. It would be appropriate to take those up with the EEOC or Colorado Civil Rights Division.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Colorado

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms