Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

Can I collect alimony?

Can I get alimony from my wife who filed for the divorce,if

I have custody of my children.I work full time, she works part time, and pays me child support.But I may have to change my work hours again to better accomidate my kids schedule.I know there are probably alot of details I left out, but a general answers would work.Is it a waste of mine and the courts time to try?? Thanks

Daniel Kryzanski Law Office of Daniel Kryzanski

Re: Can I collect alimony?

Yes you can collect alimony depending upon your financial circumstances.

Dan Kryzanski Phone: 203-359-7234

Bonnie Lee MacDonald Law Office of Bonnie Lee MacDonald

Re: Can I collect alimony?

You did not say whether you are divorced yet or not. If you are already divorced and you are not getting any alimony you can not request alimony now. You can request an upward modification of child support if your income is reduced.

If you are receiving at least a token sum for alimony you can request an increase based on a substantial change of circumstance.

If you are not divorced yet you can receive alimony depending on the financial circumstances of both parties. If you are working full time and she is working part time, it will be tough to get alimony unless she has some other source of income. A court will look at many factors including the length of the marriage, her income capacity and whether she has worked during the marriage.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut