Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in District of Columbia

If someone used my name to get an apartment and now debt collectors are calling can I sue? If the person who used my name lied and used fake documents and the representative from the apartment complex knew and helped am I responsible for paying the amount due when I wasn't really responsible and if it goes on my credit can i fight it in court

Asked on 7/03/11, 9:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paula McGill Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

First, contact law enforcement to file criminal charges.

Second, inform the debt collector about the crime. Thereafter, demand verification of the debt in writing. Within the 30 days, dispute the debt and demand they cease calling you.

If the company sues you, bring the person who stole your information into the lawsuit.

Paula J. McGill, JD, MBA

1425 K Street, NW

Suite 350

Washington, DC 20005


Read more
Answered on 7/04/11, 5:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in District of Columbia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now